ADP Speech Therapy
This program lies under the ‘communication sciences and disorders’ discipline, which also include the closely aligned-study of audiology. This degree will cover communication disorders due to neurological disorders, hearing impairment, language learning disabilities, development delay and swallowing difficulties. A speech-language therapy assistant is a certified support professional. Speech therapy assistants work under the supervision of a licensed speech-language pathologist.
This degree will give you the relevant knowledge to:
- ✦ Identify
- ✦ Assess
- ✦ Evaluate
- ✦ Manage
- ✦ Treat
- ✦ and educate on how to prevent language, speech, voice, fluency, cognitive and other communication disorders and swallowing problems
The core focus will be on:
- ✦ Delivering therapy services to children and adults
- ✦ Taking and tracking data of patients
- ✦ Various other roles and responsibilities within the scope of practice
- Demonstrate knowledge required of an entry-level speech therapy assistant
- Demonstrate the roles, responsibilities, and legal, ethical, interpersonal behaviours expected of the entry-level speech therapist assistant by the institution of employment, profession and society
- Perform duties of the speech therapy assistant in patient care delivery under supervision of a qualified Speech and Language Pathologist.
- Perform selected speech therapy interventions, under the direction and supervision of a trained Speech and Language Pathologist, to patients across their lifespan in a safely manner.
- Perform data collection safely, competently, and under supervision.
- Perform education of patients and caregivers that is intelligible, comprehensive, and accurate.
- Perform documentation of a patient treatment session.
- Determine the clinical application of reviewed literature relating to the field of speech therapy.
- ✦ Early intervention settings
- ✦ Schools and Pre-schools
- ✦ Hospitals
- ✦ Private Clinics
- ✦ Rehabilitation Centers